Rainy Days and Monday

“I have a stomachache,” he said from the warm confines of his bed. He was covered in blankets, stuffed toys, and dog. His face was the poster child for staying home.

I glanced at his brother who remained fast asleep, then at the clock which never stops ticking.

“You can rest a bit longer,” I said. “Then you need to go to school.”

“He’s probably scared,” said my wife on the phone. She was right. Despite being quick with emotion he tends to internalize information, and a weekend of questions and concerns woke him up with a punch to the gut.

I gave him a few minutes. I needed a few more.

There are a number of conversations I have always seen coming, the topics mandated by parenthood. Someday we will talk about Santa, then drugs, sex, and other things that need to be discussed despite any awkward reluctance to the contrary. However, I had never prepared to preach away the demons of troubled souls or the wounds of a world haunted by horror to a 9-year-old as he hid from the stories he had heard and the seeds they had planted. I needed a moment.

_______________

Some mornings, after I have dropped the boys at school, and if there is a reasonable space between deadlines and paychecks, I will stop for coffee on the way home. The spot is situated among a cluster of shops set between the school and a firehouse somewhere in the distance. Each visit, without fail, finds every bitter cup of coffee sipped beneath the soundtrack of sirens starting and the synchronized swish of heads on a swivel. More than once I have stood and watched the lights fly by, willing them not to turn toward the place I had just left, until they fade against whatever lies forgotten beyond the horizon. Then I smile sheepishly at a room of like-minded parents and wonder why the hell I even go there.

_______________

We were touching, not a breath apart, and he was shrinking in his pajamas. I held tight to the bedstead to right my balance and give him the smallest semblance of anchor. I needed to stay in character.

I could feel his heart bounce in time between the beats of my own. A few feet away his little brother began to stretch and yawn, ready to face the day fresh and free of fear. Smiles were exchanged and yawns gave way to some soft sort of mumble about rain and reindeer.

“Is this about Friday?” I asked my oldest. There was no reason to be more specific, he knew what I meant despite his having only the most basic of details, and he nodded slowly.

“You are anxious,” I told him. “It’s okay. I am anxious, too. Are you afraid to go to school?”

He nodded.

“Listen,” I whispered, because a whisper was all I had. “There is nothing wrong with being scared. I’m scared. That’s what happens when you can’t explain terrible things, but if we let that control our lives then the terrible things become bigger than us. The bad beats the good, and that isn’t how life should be lived.”

“The good guys always win, right?” he asked.

It was my turn to nod.

“Almost always,” I said. “Or they try their hardest to do so, and that is worth doing, too. Something terrible happened, but it happened, it is not happening. Your school is safe. The mall is safe. The movie theater is safe. We can’t let the fears caused by a few destroy the peace made by the many. Does that make sense?”

“Yes.”

He pulled me closer into his arms. His blankets were warm and the dog didn’t budge.

“Do you think there is more good in this world or bad?” I asked him.

“Good,” he replied without hesitation.

“Good,” I said. “Now hurry up and we’ll stop for breakfast.”

“Okay.”

I glanced at his brother, all wild hair and wide grin, then again at the clock which had moved quickly and quietly forward.

We took our time at the coffee shop. The rain seemed appropriate.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

10 Responses to “Rainy Days and Monday”

• This makes me a little bit glad that my children flank the age range that requires my explaining things like last Friday.
    Father Muskrat´s last blog post ..violent

• Whit says:

Yeah, tender as it was, it wasn’t fun. The youngest was listening, but didn’t chime in. He just hugged me and asked about the breakfast options.

• Homemakerman says:

My wife did the explaining though it seems mine are too young for it. She had received emails from her school system saying how, why, and when to explain these things to kids, and we didn’t want them hearing about from their teachers or the other kids. She kept it vague and leaned on the relative safety of our surroundings. It sucked, but it went pretty well.
    You did good.

• Whit says:

Thanks. We received emails from our school as well, and it was good advice, but a lot of what different experts said seemed to contradict the other. I figure we know our own kids better than anyone and should address them accordingly. It’s a theory.

• PrincessNana says:

So very touching!

• Jason says:

“The good guys always win, right?”
    I actually started to tear up a bit. The faith they put in us, when we’re trying to hide our own fear. ‘Nuff said. Thanks for sharing.

Jason
    Jason´s last blog post ..Peppermint Oreo Pops – Children’s Birthday Fun

• Holmes says:

The cop car outside my kid’s school was both comforting and chilling and I was relieved when my son didn’t ask about them. I’m going to tattoo your words about dealing with fear onto my brain for easy access, not just for my kids, but for me.

Oh, and happy new year my man. Hope it treats you all well.
    Holmes´s last blog post ..It seems utterly fucking ridiculous….

CommentLuv badge

This is My Book:
This is Where You Buy It:

This is the Best of Me:
When Stuffed Animals Die * From Forever to the Sea * Between the Groundwork and Soft Foreshadows * Son of Tucson * To Seattle, With Love * There's Never Stopping in a White Zone * Stars Upon Thars * Things We Do Like The Dickens * 26.2 * Of Mice, Men & Murder as a Lullaby * When We've First Begun * The Night Kitchen * Of Walking the Line * A Brother & His Keeper * World Where We Live * Business Socks * An Award by any Other Name * Choose Your Own Adventure * The Bite of Bread & Bunnies * Between the Channels * A Band of Brothers * A Dog Day Afternoon and Into the Night * Between the Wood & Frozen Lake * Po-tate-o, Po-taut-o * Tales of a Playground Loner * Waiting on Norman * There's a Sad Sort of Clanging From the Clock Down the Hall * Occupy Childhood * Backyard and the Twilight * FOUR! * For Ghosts of Christmas Past * An Open Letter to Atticus * An Open Letter to Zane * The Road Also Rises * And Scene * For Tomorrow May Rain * New Toilet Training * The Middle of the Moon * Sunday in a Sandbox * A Note on Friendship * A Mother's Arms are Made of Tenderness & Children Sleep Soundly in Them * I'm Going to Carry This Weight a Long Time * A Handy Guide for Young Lovers and Careless Swimmers * One Long True Sentence That I Added Punctuation To * Of Negatives, Positives & the Sparks Between * Of Peanuts and Cracker Jack and the Fences We Swing For * Left for Dead by a Prattling Brook * Stuffing Sorries in a Sack * Parenting on a Budget (Or the Lack Thereof) * A Long Day & Many Short Years * Bad News for Beautiful Mornings * The Roughness of Sand is Relative * A Simple Season of Starlight and Splendor * An Introduction to Terror * California Dreamin' * The Sound of Settling * 40 * On Means to the End * How to Cry on Valentine's Day * In Defense of Boys * This Old Night * Once They Sang Like Peacocks * The Day Was Mixed With Foul and Rye * Small Steps in the Starlight * Two Note * The Springtime of Our Youth * Zane's Trains & Deadlinemobiles * Put One Foot in Front of the Other * Rainy Days & Mondays * Of Seasons and Fleeting * And Children Get Older, Too * You Know We'll Have a Good Time Then
This is Where I Write: